Belle Isle Castle – Abercorn Wing details
Situated on the northern tip of Upper Lough Erne, Belle Isle is a 470-acre estate spread over eight picturesque islands. Inhabited since the 12th century and bought in 1991 by the Duke of Abercorn, it is now a vibrant working farm offering a wide range of attractive self-catering accommodation. The modernisation of the Castle, dating from 1680, was completed in 1993. Thereafter, the Coach House, followed by the farm courtyard, were skillfully converted to provide comfortable, linked holiday cottages.
Belle Isle Castle, one of the Coach House cottages and two of the Courtyard Cottages (Sycamore and Ash Cottage) are available to be booked by our guests. The properties are furnished to a high standard and imaginatively decorated with warm colours.
An imposing double-vaulted entrance hall leads to an elegant drawing room with a magnificent open fireplace. Fine English and Irish antiques, rattan furniture from the spice island of Cebu and striking Russian paintings from St. Petersburg, all help to create the room’s comfortable and welcoming ambience. Floor-to-ceiling windows offer views of the sunken garden and beyond. The Grand Hall, a vast banqueting room complete with its own minstrels gallery, seats 65 guests. Antique furniture and paintings by Victorian masters are all offset beautifully by the dramatic colour scheme created by international interior designer, the late David Hicks. We offer other options at this location, which may be of interest if you need to accommodate a different sized group. Please see Belle Isle Castle, sleeping 17.
This holiday at a glance
- Sleeps ten guests.
- Five bedrooms, four en-suite bathrooms and one bathroom.
- Open fire.
- Charming sunken garden and terrace.
- Onsite parking.
- Up to two well behaved dogs are welcome (small additional charge per dog).
- Minimum of a two night stay.
- A wealth of original features.
- Set in the grounds of a 470 acre estate over eight islands.
- Aga, gas stove, microwave, two dishwashers.
- Washing machine, tumble dryer.
- Satellite TV/DVD/CD player.
- Outdoor furniture and barbecue.
Attractions and nearby amenities
- There is a local pub within a mile of the property.
- The town of Enniskillen, with its choice of restaurants and shops, is only eight miles away.
- Fermanagh offers some wonderful walking opportunities.
- The property is a good base for exploring Sligo, Donegal and the north coast.
- Boats can be hired, both coarse and game fishing can be organised, shooting game and clay, a walking trail that will take you the whole way around the island taking in fragrant forests, beautiful gardens and magnificent lake views and horseback riding with The Forest stables in Fivemiletown.