Champernhayes Farmhouse details
This impressive stone farmhouse was once part of the original, prosperous farm that was built to provide food for the local community and small mediaeval monastery. It is tastefully decorated and recently refurbished to offer a combination of modern boutique and mediaeval charm. The sitting room has its original 15th Century flagstone flooring and 12 inch thick walls built from original wattle and daub construction, having lasted over 650 years!
One of six properties on the estate, we also offer Champernhayes Barn sleeping up to 10 guests.
This holiday cottage at a glance
- Sleeps eight guests.
- Four bedrooms.
- Three en-suites and one ground floor bathroom.
- Wood burning stove and bread oven.
- Indoor Jacuzzi and swim spa (private use with arranged time slots).
- Enclosed garden/patio plus communal garden with pond.
- Up to two well behaved dogs welcome (small additional charge per dog), to be kept on the lead please due to sheep or guests who are wary of dogs.
- On-site parking.
- Arrive on a Friday, Saturday or Monday for a minimum of a three night stay.
- French windows from kitchen open onto private garden/patio with views of the valley.
- Woodland walks surrounding the area with a beauty meadow and stream.
- Large Inglenook fireplace.
- Original wattle & daub walls.
- Original flagstone floor.
- Seating area within garden with gas barbecue (gas supplied).
- Games room with a selection of books, board games and DVDs.
- Travel cot, highchair and stairgate available on request.
- Exposed beams.
- Flat screen TV and DVD player, Bose stereo.
- Hand built modern oak and granite topped kitchen, well equipped with oven, dishwasher, microwave, fridge and freezer.
- Secured access to the pool area (pin code on door), please supervise children at all times and bring your own pool towels.
Attractions and nearby amenities
- Located on the Dorset and Devon border, just two miles from Charmouth and just over the hill, Lyme Regis.
- Situated with the UK’s only natural World Heritage Site, this coastline is renowned for its fascinating geology and fossils – known locally as the ‘Jurassic Coastline’ – a real life ‘Jurassic Park’.
- The towns of Honiton and Axminster are within 20 minutes drive.
- Well placed for trips to the famous River Cottage HQ which holds events, festivals and training courses, 10% off any event or training for Champernhayes guests.
- The historic city of Exeter is 20 minutes by rail from Axminster and Dorchester is a 30 minute drive.
- Famous south Devon and Dorset beaches offer a variety of seaside experiences – Sidmouth, Exmouth, Lulworth Cove and Sea town.
- Experiences can be arranged eg. Yoga alternative medicine; guided fossil walks, electric cycle rides to pubs and historic places; in-house curry and vegetarian cooking; chocolate making lessons; crafts, textiles bush and wood crafts.