Elk Cottage details
Elk Cottage is a 5 Star Gold Award winning restoration of a Grade II listed traditional sandstone barn located in the quiet hamlet of Glassonby in the middle of the Eden Valley. Access to the rolling hills of the Eden Valley and the nearby Lake District National Park are amongst the best features of this cosy cottage.
The recent conversion of Elk Cottage dating back to the 1600s, brings this 5* Star Gold Award winning barn conversion back into the habitation for the first time since 1764. It retains many of its original features including beams, open fireplaces, stone walls, original old fashioned door heights (some low) and terraced gardens and fields. Furnished throughout with antiques as well as benefiting from an extremely well equipped kitchen, including an American style side by side fridge and an AEG washing machine and dryer.
Elk Cottage’s position on one of the higher hills in the Eden Valley gives its gardens amazing views towards the Pennines and the rolling countryside that has seen this area in Cumbria declared one of the UK’s designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is dog friendly, and the gardens and grounds surrounding this cottage provide plenty of room for running around. It also has an enclosed sandstone courtyard garden opening directly from its kitchen rear door.
Other properties to be found within the grounds are Glassonby Old Hall, sleeping eight guests and Jenny’s Croft, sleeping four guests.
This holiday cottage at a glance
- Sleeps four guests.
- Two bedrooms, one en-suite bathroom and one en-suite shower room.
- Sandstone fireplace with wood burning stove.
- Gated enclosed sandstone terrace to the rear benefits from lovely raised flower beds and steps leading up to a lawned area (dog owners be aware this is not enclosed).
- On-site, private parking.
- Up to two well behaved dogs are welcome (small additional charge per dog). Please ensure they are kept to the ground floor and off the furniture.
- Please beware of some low doorways.
- Minimum of a two night stay.
- Wood burning cast iron fire, complimentary logs, kindling and firelighters provided for guests use.
- Electric hob, separate oven, microwave, American fridge freezer, dishwasher, washing machine/ tumble dryer.
- Large screen LCD TV, DVD player, iPod docking system.
- Catering service available, please contact Lynn Hilditch 07775 733608.
- Cot, high chair and stairgate available on request.
- Weber barbecue with with locally sourced charcoal provided for guest use and sustainable plantation teak garden furniture.
- All duvets and pillows are feather filled. These may be changed to polycotton upon request before guest arrival at no additional cost.
Attractions and nearby amenities
- There is a village shop one and a half miles from Glassonby, in Kirkoswald which also has two local pubs.
- Bicycles, locks and helmets are available for hire as well as fishing nearby.
- Great walks starting from the front door including a walk along from Dale Raven along the banks of the River Eden, a walk to Lacey’s Caves along the Eden River, a walk to the Long Meg Stone Circle (the second largest in England).
- Cycling route maps provided and Glassonby is located along the popular C2C cycle route as well as having many quiet lanes in the local area which are ideal for cyclists.
- Canoes and sailboats available to hire from the Glenridding Sailing Centre.
- Pony treks from Rookin House Farm.
- The charming nearby Cumbrian village of Melmerby, where the nationally acclaimed organic Village Bakery and the Shepherd’s Inn Pub provide great food and local ales.