Oak Cliff Place details
Oak Cliff Place is a magnificent Victorian detached house, wonderfully private with stunning uninterrupted views over the Solent to Portsmouth. Light-filled, high-ceilinged and spacious, it is set in an elevated position within five acres of land including its own small wood. To the west are walks along the shore to sandy beaches and a nature reserve; to the east is Wootton Creek, filled with yachts and smaller boats.
There is a large stone terrace to the rear of the property overlooking the garden and sea beyond, with gas barbecue and two wooden dining tables seating 16. The extensive grounds also include an asphalt tennis court, a fenced and heated (from 1st May to 30th September) outdoor swimming pool with pool house, outdoor table tennis, ground-sunk trampoline, football pitch and several lawns. The garden drops to an unfenced, uncultivated, wild flowered steep slope down, so caution is needed with young children, however there is ample alternative playing space within the gardens.
Inside, six of the eight bedrooms have full sea views. The large kitchen/dining room opens through french doors to the terrace for easy outside dining and fabulous sea views and the games room provides a pool table and TV for indoor entertainment. There is an additional TV snug with a 42″ wall mounted flat screen TV. The large drawing room and adjoining conservatory provide a peaceful setting for enjoying the wonderful coastal outlook, with an open fire for cooler evenings.
This holiday at a glance
- Sleeps 16 guests.
- Eight bedrooms, one shower room, two en-suite bathrooms and two family bathrooms.
- Open fire.
- Large, lawned gardens with stone terrace.
- Private carriage driveway with plenty of parking space.
- Sorry, no pets.
- Minimum of a three night stay.
- Electric Aga, separate electric oven and hob, US style side-by-side fridge freezer plus separate built in fridge, dishwasher.
- Washing machine, tumble dryer, outdoor dryer, three TVs, two DVD players.
- Mobile phone reception.
- Games room with pool table, cot and high chair provided on request.
- Sea-view terrace with tables and chairs for 16 and gas barbecue.
- Tennis court.
- Fenced outdoor heated (from 1st May to 30th September) swimming pool and pool house.
- Sunken trampoline, football pitch, table tennis.
Attractions and nearby amenities
- It is a 30 minute scenic walk along Wootton Creek – or a few minutes drive to a well stocked Tesco Express on Wootton Bridge, Majestic Wines and the headquarters of the delicious Isle of Wight Minghella Ice Creams.
- The popular local fish and chip shop opposite provides a quick and easy alternative supper.
- Five to ten minutes drive further on is Briddlesford Lodge, Wootton, with its farm shop and Bluebell Caf, open daily for a large selection of local and organic produce including hand- made sausages and other meat from the on-site butcher.
- There are miles of beautiful sandy beaches at Ryde.
- A picturesque Victorian seaside town four and a half miles away, and at Sandown beach, 11 miles from the property.
- Oak Cliff Place is situated midway between Ryde and the world-famous yachting centre, Cowes, full of old time charm.
- Within 30 minutes drive are the sailing towns of Seaview and Bembridge on the east coast, Yarmouth on the west and Ventnor and St Lawrence to the south, all with delightful pubs serving local seafood and other produce.
- All around are the miles of footpaths, unspoilt scenery and stunning coastline which make for a perfect walking/cycling/riding holiday or family.