Port na Mine holiday home details
In the most idyllic setting is Port na Mine, a very special holiday home with breath-taking views of Loch Etive and Glencoe beyond. Sleeping twelve guests in six bedrooms with five bathrooms, this spacious home is beautifully situated for holidays with friends and family. A track from garden leads straight to the Loch shoreline where a stunning walk along the Loch awaits, as well as a boat jetty which is great for picnics in the sunshine. Behind the house is 30 acres of stunning landscape where ancient woodlands and rugged hills are waiting to be discovered.
Although Port na Mine boasts a secluded loch-side location many of Arygll’s popular destinations are easily accessible. Sharing the forestry track that leads is to Port na Mine is the well-known Inverawe Smokehouse and Shop which has also a café, visitor centre and many trails and walks through the park’s woods. The village of Taynuilt is just five miles away where local amenities include an excellent grocer, butchers, tea room and hotel with restaurant. The 9-hole Taynuilt Golf Club has wonderful views of Loch Etive while the Bonawe Iron Furnace is a popular local attraction. Slightly further afield is Oban which can be reached in approximately 30 minutes’ drive where there is a good range of shops, restaurants and ferries to the Hebrides.
This holiday at a glance
- Sleeps twelve guests.
- Two super king bedrooms with en-suites and one double bedroom with en-suite.
- Three twin bedrooms, one with en-suite.
- Family bathroom and separate shower room.
- Wood effect electric fire.
- Spacious fully enclosed garden.
- Ample parking.
- Children and infants welcome.
- Up to two well behaved dogs welcome (small additional charge).
- Minimum of a three night stay.
- Direct access to the Loch via a track through the garden (please see Notes).
- Two oven AGA, electric oven and multifunction microwave.
- Large fridge and fridge with large freezer compartment.
- Dishwasher and combined washer/dryer.
- Two televisions with Freeview and DVD player.
- Digital radio, IPod docking station and charger.
- Selection of board games in the sitting room.
- Ordnance survey maps.
- Highchair and cots available on request.
- Garden furniture.
- Fishing rods and mackerel lines available on request
- Guests with their own boats can use the track down to the Loch to launch from there.
Attractions and nearby amenities
- Taynuilt is situated on the shore of Loch Etive by Ben Crauchan, one of Scotland’s largest mountains and there are excellent choices for walking and hiking nearby for the whole family.
- Half a mile from the house is the Inverawe Smokery & Fisheries which offers many fantastic activities for all the family including walks and trails, a children’s play area, feeding the fish and visiting the shop and café.
- Go fishing at the River Awe, a stunning river with a great depth of variety, located in one of the most breath taking regions of Scotland.
- A 10 minute drive away hidden deep within the mountain of Ben Cruachan on the shores of Loch Awe is Cruachan Power Station, one of the country’s most amazing engineering achievements.
- Other local attractions include Angus Garden, Achnacloich Garden and the Bonawe Iron Furnace in Taynuilt.
- Approximately 15 miles away in Oban you will be spoilt for choice with fish restaurants with highlights being The Waterfront Restaurant, Eeusk, George Street Fish Restaurant and The Oyster Inn.
- Regular trains run from Glasgow to Taynuilt Station. Alternatively Upper Tyndrum is only a 40 minute drive giving connections to London Euston on the Caledonian Sleeper.